A recent survey on PR Newswire asked a bunch of hiring managers for the weirdest stunts people have pulled in job interviews to try and land a job. I remember once MIX 105.1 was hiring a night time position on the air and someone sent the program director a cake. I always thought that was weird, but then I read some of these!
Here are the top ten WEIRD things people have done to try and persuade an interviewer to hire them:
1. A guy showed up in a white limo and three-piece suit for a mid-level position where the dress code was khakis and a button-down.
2. Someone had their priest call and say to hire them.
3. A guy had his wife make bars of lavender soap to say thanks for the interview.
4. Someone asked the hiring manager if they wanted to share an ice cream cone.
5. A guy who had worked as a camp counselor showed up with some of the KIDS he worked with to show he had leadership skills. Hey, he LED them there, that’s good enough for me!
6. Someone bought a first-class upgrade to sit next to a hiring manager on a flight.
7. Someone had an interview in October, so they showed up in a Halloween costume.
8. A guy sent socks with a note saying he’d knock their socks off! Someone else sent a shoe, with a note that said he was just trying to get his “foot in the door.”
9. Someone tried to land a job by KISSING the person who interviewed them.
10. A guy tried to up his chances by mailing the hiring manager cash.