By: Jay Edwards
Are you from a city that gets mispronounced on every traffic and news report? Shout out to Kissimmee and Altamonte Springs, yeah you know what we’re talking about! Chances are you’re saying one of these seven other city names incorrectly, too!
1. Boise, Idaho. (BOY-see) Most people say it like there’s a “Z” in there, but it’s supposed to be pronounced with an “S” sound.
2. Lafayette, Louisiana. (LAH-fee-et) Most people say La-FAY-et, like it’s spelled. But it’s La-FEE-et.
3. Helena, Montana. (HELL-en-uh) A lot of people say Hell-AY-nuh. But the emphasis should be on the first syllable, not the second.
4. Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. (WILKS-Bairy) The second half is spelled B-A-R-R-E, so a lot of people say Wilks-BAR. But it’s Wilks-BAIRY.
5. Kissimmee, Florida. (Kah-SIM-ee) Thank you Thrillist for correcting this for the rest of the country!
6. Norfolk, Virginia. (NOR-fik) It doesn’t actually rhyme with the world “folk.” It’s NOR-fik . . . or NAW-fik if you want to sound like you’re from Virginia.
7. Spokane, Washington. (Spo-CAN) It looks like it’s Spo-CANE, but it’s Spo-CAN.
8. Louisville, Kentucky. (LOO-ih-vull) A lot of people say “LOUEY-ville.” But there’s no hard “E”. So it almost sounds like it’s just two syllables . . . LOO-ih-vull.
Here are twelve more city names on Thrillist that you might be saying incorrectly.