by: Adam Alexander
“The Emoji Movie” hits theaters this Friday, so here are five FUN FACTS about Emoji’s!
1. A guy in Japan created the first set of 176 emojis back in 1999 but they didn’t start getting popular until 2011. (designboom)
2. There were 2,666 official emojis until last week when they added 69 more. Now it’s up to 2,735. There is a group called the Unicode Consortium approves them. (Money.cnn)
3. People around the world send over 5 billion emojis every single day and it’s actually a lot higher than that. 5 billion is just how many we send through Facebook Messenger every day. (adweek)
4. World Emoji Day is on July 17th every year. The reason is because the date on the Apple’s Calendar Emoji is July 17th! That’s the date Apple’s “iCal” app was announced back in 2002. Not everyone uses July 17th for their calendar emoji though. Twitter uses March 21st, because the first tweet was sent on March 21st, 2006. (emojipedia)
5. The most popular emoji is “Tears of Joy,” where it’s laughing so hard it’s crying. It’s been used more than any other emoji on Facebook and Twitter for three straight years. Oxford Dictionary made it its “Word of the Year” back in 2015. (Hindu)