By Jay Edwards
Most of us don’t think of food as something that can cause injury. However, these nine foods send more people to the hospital every year than any other.
1. Hot dogs- In the U.S., they’re the #1 choking hazard for kids under the age of 3 because they take too big of a bite.
2. Raw alfalfa sprouts- They’re a perfect environment for things like E. coli and salmonella. According to Business Insider, over the past 20 years, they’ve been linked to about 30 serious food-borne illness outbreaks.
3. Shellfish, especially raw oysters- Not only can you get food poisoning, but they can also be deadly if you don’t realize you have a shellfish allergy.
4. Fugu, which is a type of blowfish- It has to be prepared exactly right, because there’s enough poison in one fish to kill 30 people. Which is why it’s banned in the U.S.
5. Cazu Marzu cheese- It’s Italian, and literally means “rotten cheese” because they use live maggots to ferment it. It’s banned in the U.S. for sanitary reasons. Who in their right mind would eat this?
6. Unpasteurized cheese- Meaning the milk wasn’t sterilized, so bacteria could still be in there. Most types are banned in the U.S.
7. Uncooked kidney beans. There’s a specific protein in them that can make you sick, even if you just have a few. However, experts say they’re safe to eat once they’re cooked. No thanks, I’m not risking it.
8. Bagels- Eating them won’t kill you, it’s cutting them that is the dangerous part. Roughly 2,000 people go to the emergency room each year with bagel-related injuries. Avocado injuries are also common.