Make-Ahead Cheesy Turkey Chili Bake is a is very versatile casserole recipe. Sub the turkey with ground turkey or a meatloaf mix. Also, shredded rotisserie or leftover baked chicken saves stovetop prep time.
Make-Ahead Cheesy Turkey Chili Bake
Yield: 8 servings
1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
1 (1-ounce) package Old El Paso taco seasoning mix
2 (19-ounce) cans Progresso cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
1 (4.5-ounce) can Old El Paso green chilies, undrained
1 (11-ounce) can white shoepeg corn
1 (16-ounce) jar Old El Paso Thick ‘n Chunky salsa
2 cups shredded Mexican four-cheese blend
4 cups cooked brown rice (optional)
Freshly chopped cilantro
Sliced green onions
Sour cream or Greek yogurt
1. Heat oven to 350F. Spray a 13-by-9-inch (3-quart) baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat turkey and salt to taste over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Add remaining ingredients except cheese; stir to combine. Spread in baking dish. Top with cheese. Spray piece of foil large enough to cover baking dish with cooking spray. Cover baking dish with foil, sprayed side down.
3. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until instant-read thermometer inserted in center of casserole reads 165F. If desired, serve over rice with favorite chili toppings: cilantro, green onions, sour cream, yogurt, salsa, guacamole.
• To freeze, spray 2 (8-inch) disposable foil cake pans with cooking spray. After covering pans with sprayed foil, place pans in gallon-size sealable freezer plastic bags, or wrap in double layer of plastic wrap. Label and freeze. To bake: Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Heat oven to 350F. Remove from plastic, and place foil-covered pans on cookie sheet. Bake 40 to 50 minutes. If baking from frozen, bake 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
• Spicy tomatillo salsa makes a nice substitute for the Thick ‘n Chunky salsa, if you can take the heat.
• Shave off prep time by using 2 cups shredded deli rotisserie chicken in place of the ground turkey.
SOURCE: Pillsbury.com and the General Mills Co.
Click here to visit Heather’s Florida Kitchen.