By Jay Edwards
When your kids come home on Halloween night with 2,383 pieces of candy in their trick-or-treat bag, how do you know which ones to avoid and maybe keep for yourself?
Nutritionists ranked Halloween candy from the best to worst for you and they based it on things like calories, sugar grams, proteins or fiber, and how long they take to eat. Here’s their list of nine candies, starting with the best from NBC News:
1. Gummy worms- They named specifically the Trolli Sour Brite Crawlers. One serving of eight gummy worms comes in at 100 calories and 14 grams of sugar and since they’re chewy, you can eat them more slowly.
2. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups- A single peanut butter cup has 110 calories and 11 grams of sugar. However, it ranked higher because it also two grams of protein and one gram of fiber.
3. Blow Pops- It has 13 grams of sugar but only 70 calories. Plus, it takes a while to finish.
4. Snickers- A four-piece serving of Snickers Miniatures has 170 calories and 18 grams of sugar, plus three grams of protein and one gram of fiber.
5. Twix- It has 150 calories and 15 grams of sugar for a 3-piece serving of the Twix Minis.
6. Kit Kats- The Kit Kats Miniatures have 170 calories and 17 grams of sugar for four pieces.
7. Twizzlers Strawberry Twists- It has 90 calories and 13 grams of sugar for three snack size pieces, but almost no protein or fiber.
8. Tootsie Roll Midgees- They’re chewy, so you can take your time eating them. Six pieces have 140 calories and 20 grams of sugar and no protein or fiber.
9. Candy Corn- A serving size of candy corn is 19 pieces, which contains 140 calories and 28 grams of sugar. And since they’re not individually-wrapped like some of the other options, it can be hard to stop at one serving. Just ask Jay & Adam!